Sunday, May 21, 2006

Newly created

My name is Lawrence and I'm a librarian who hosts a mystery book reading club at my library. This new blog is for those who enjoy reading and discussing mysteries. I have worked with the library's (South County Regional Library) mystery book club since 2002 since its creation. We meet each second Thursday of the month at 6: 30 to discuss a selected title.

We select titles from a suggested list I compile from library publications (such as Booklist), popular magazines (such as Time or Entertainment Weekly) or newspapers (locally The Charlotte [NC] Observer or The New York Times). I ask for votes from those attending the book club, tally the votes and email later with the results. However, to mix things up a little--I do not assign a title for the group and we do a book talk about a title of our own choosing.

In the past couple of years the book club has read books by Sue Henry (Cold Company: an Alaska Mystery), Steve Hamilton (Blood in the Sky), Laura Lippman (In a Strange City), Mark Cohen (The Fractal Murders) among others.

No comments: