Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Too Long to Make the List--

I looked at the New York Times list of "100 Notable Books of 2007" this week and found one straight out-and-out mystery in the fiction section. The intriguingly titled The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon is last on the fiction list and I had considered it as a possibility for the mystery book club to read. The list describes the book as: Cops, thugs, schemers, rabbis, chess fanatics and obsessives of every stripe populate this screwball, hard-boiled murder mystery set in an imagined Jewish settlement in Alaska. The novel runs more than 400 pages long and--I hate to say it--but, I decided that's too long for a book club selection. (I make recommendations for books to read for the library's mystery book club and attendees vote on the titles in most instances.)

Why not read this book? During the first year or so of the book club, I had one attendee suggest--in the mildest of ones--that the book club limit the pages for a book selection. Granted, some may have plenty of time and interest to read a large book but others don't. As such, I've kept in mind when looking for books for the book club sessions. I have skipped books that appear to be on the jumbo size.

Now, The Yiddish Policemen's Union is 414 pages and closer to the long side for a book club selection. And, of course, that's my judgment with the standard type of mysteries we tend to read.

That said, we could still read this book if the group decides so.

No comments: