Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Good in small doses--

I just finished reading the new Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich and after a long break between books in the series found it a good read. The Stephanie Plum novel of the New Jersey bounty hunter has a breathless quality of piling action, upon twist, upon humor throughout. I do like the funny quips and the characters grew on me. And the murder mystery itself is decent as the story picks up steam.

Truth be told though, this is only the second book of the wildly, popular series that I've read--I did start with the first of the series One for the Money, at least. I haven't read the others and that is mainly due to looking at other works and writers.

Should I have jumped forward in this series and not read a few of the others? I guess so but with the frequency of this series--the first book was published in 1994--I don't feel that I've missed that much. So how should I gauge the other "Stephanie Plum" books? Well, I hear comments from people at work when the new titles are released and "word of mouth" lets me know to pay attention to the series but beware of repeat episodes (Stephanie's mishaps that is) in a long-running series.

No comments: