Sunday, October 26, 2008

Eye Catching Book Title--


When one of co-workers opened a box of new fiction books recently, I noticed a new paperback with Charleston (SC) in the title and I gave it a long glance. I really like Charleston. The full title of the book is The Charleston Ripper by Steve Brown and the cover includes the description: A modern-day Jack the Ripper stalks his victims in Old Charleston. The book's website (www.chicksprings.com) says the book features detective Susan Chase.

Looking this book over I found it has a very strong local connection with the publisher, Chick Springs Publishing, in Taylors, South Carolina. And, that writer Steve Brown has a sizable body of writings with "The Myrtle Beach Mysteries" (six books) and four others. The book's website says Brown writes historical fiction in addition to mysteries and claims he is "one of South Carolina's most versatile writers." I'll say this: I credit him with developing a series of titles in locations where you get crime and trouble instead of sand and suds.

No comments: