Saturday, December 06, 2008

Those cutesy book titles--

When moving the library's paperback mystery books collection recently, I noticed a book with a title that made me smile and shake my head. That book, Deader Than Disco by David Hiltbrand, was sitting at the end of the shelf and I had to smile while I caught myself (disco is fine with me--except the silly stuff). Oh well, if you can't catch the potential reader by the cover--at least go for the title, huh?

Looking over those paperbacks (and some others), I noticed a few other titles like Chili Con Corpses by J. B. Stanley, Monkey See, Monkey Die by Cynthia Baxter and Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned by Kinky Friedman. You have to know that a good murder mystery can use good humor to keep the reader going.

In fact, during some book club discussions I ask "why does the book have its title?" Some titles are self-evident while many are a mystery saved til the last chapters of the book (or the results of the book publisher and marketing one attendee said once).

In any case, you have to sell your goods to succeed.

No comments: