Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A Fan for Rick Riordan


As I was waiting in the car dealership for my car for a routine service call last week, I pulled out my book club selection, The Body in the Record Room and began reading. You have to travel with a book right? Also, the book club session was mere days away.

Anyway, at some point I snickered at a line in book--which I'll unabashedly do while reading--when a woman sitting near by heard me and asked about my book. I showed it to her and she said the book cover is possibly enough to sell her to read the book (she read inside the book jacket too). Take a look for yourself.

Truth be told, I didn't get into the grimmer aspects of the book at that point so I could not share such in a conversation but we talked a little and she brought up the topic of favorite authors. She really enjoyed reading the adult mystery titles of Rick Riordan with private eye Tres Navarre (he's a renaissance man with backgrounds as a martial arts expert and a doctorate in medieval literature according to the author website).

The fellow driver said she enjoys Riordan's capture of the Texas lifestyle, etc., etc., as she is former resident of Austin and the novels take her there in stories. Here's a googled pix of Riodan.

That's good for me to know. I have to admit--for a while I've heard much more about teen readers interested in Riordan's Percy Jackson fantasy series for youth.

Overall, of course, it's good to know what others like to read and I enjoyed talking to the fellow Honda driver.

No comments: