Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Discovered during a long weekend--



I discovered during a long weekend at Charleston, S.C. how the printed word creates and makes fans. Writer Cathy Pickens' mystery novel Done Gone Wrong included a mouth-waterin' section where Avery Andrews--Picken's series character who's a female lawyer--makes a well-timed trip to the Jestine's restaurant for an afternoon meal. As the story goes, Avery's back in Charleston for a case.

The actual place, "Jestine's Kitchen" is a relaxed, smallish country-style environment with the feel of a good meal at grandma's home kitchen. It has become a quick favorite for my family and is a convenient walk while taking in the other sites. And I was pleasantly surprised when I looked in the back of the restaurant during a dinner visit and saw the cover of Done Gone Wrong hanging on the right wall (it was matted and framed if I remember correctly). When I stepped to the back, I read the accompanying text and it was the section from the book with Avery's visit to Jestine's. Granted, it was brief but it gave a nice nod to a restaurant with yummy, Southern-style cooking.

No comments: