Friday, June 01, 2012

That's a Good Reading Choice--

When you receive positive comments about your new choice for a book to read then--you're bound to swell up inside with pride and anticipate what you have.  That was almost the case when I was sitting at work and two different women commented on my new selection for the book club.

The responses were like "that is a good really good book" and I wanted to quickly agree.  In actually though I had yet to start reading the book.  I just felt that my judgment might be different.  I had read the book reviews earlier but they were distant memories now as I wanted to develop my own assessment of the book.  It was John Hart's The Last Child and this is the second Hart novel the book club had selected after his first successful work The King of Lies.  And, full disclosure, I did like that mystery. 

In some cases though, a character's actions may be off-putting or the author may take huge leaps of faith that annoy the reader along with several other situations which may nose-dive the reading experience.  Everyone is a critic.

It's OK though because after a period of time you would have read the book.  You decide for yourself and then you can agree or counter the casual observer's book selection comments.

No comments: