Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Work or leisure...?

Lemme see, if you see a local novelist in your library what would you think: work or leisure? I mused over that thought when I recently saw two mystery writers at two different times in the library. One writer was in the check-out line whereas the other was heading down the stairs to the first floor.

Now a trip to the library for a writer may entail just the standard type of library visit as for most of us--that is books and reading. Reading the work of others has to inspire and to entertain the writer as much as anyone else. Of course, see what else good work is around.

Otherwise, a library trip might mean a research assignment for a writer. As helpful as the internet is for all, sometimes a book or reference book series is the ideal assistant.

Now, what was the case for the two I saw a few weeks ago? I don't know but I'm sure they're writing and reading as much as their day and schedule permits. I certainly believe they have *fun* jobs (most days).

No comments: